Thursday, July 20, 2023

M7: Google Earth Pro

 While the coursework for this certificate has focused primarily on ArcPro and ESRI technologies, several other GIS platforms exist, including Google Earth and Google Earth Pro, which are free to download or use with a student license (Google Earth Pro). The primary file type associated with Google Earth is KMZ files, while ArcPro utilizes .gdb, .atx, and aprx files. In order to display files created in ArcPro on Google Earth, they must be converted with geoprocessing tools to KMZ. 

I opened the Surface Water layer in ArcPro, used the symbology pane to customize symbology for the different water bodies, and then with the Layer to KMZ tool I exported a KMZ. Adding the KMZ file to Google Earth was very similar to opening a word document in a processor, and navigating around Google Earth was very similar to most navigation in ArcPro. Using the toolbars in Google I was able to add other layers for population dot density, as well as a vector layer showing counties and their borders. I appreciate that the layer drawing order can be determined by height relative to the ground. While this is possible in ArcPro I feel like it is mor intuitive in Google Earth. I also added a legend with image overlay. With 3D Buildings turned on I was able to add placemarks and create a tour of some of the populated areas in South Florida. This was occasionally difficult with the computer lag; I would turn off a data layer so it wouldn't show in the tour, but then the display would take so ling to process the data removal that the change wasn't clear except on the layer pane. 

I can see how Google Earth would be helpful in producing end products or proposals for third parties, perhaps stakeholders who are not well versed in GIS and want to see a spatial display that they can navigate easily without ArcPro. The ability to create tours would work well for examining watersheds, build sites, or research areas without worrying about accidentally changing the layer or view. 

Below is the map of South Florida I created in Google Earth, complete with legend. 

A map of South Florida showing population densities (red dots) and water bodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

GIS Portfolio

 As a final assignment at the end of my time with University of West Florida, I have built a GIS portfolio StoryMap. The final product is em...